Search This Blog
Saturday, August 29, 2026
A daughter
For Sana
Some days,
I say your name quietly,
as if you are sleeping
and I might wake you.
Other days,
I say it through tears,
through a heart that has forgotten
how to hold this much love
and this much loss
at the same time.
I miss you
in ordinary moments—
when I see something
you would have loved,
when a song comes on,
when someone says something
that reminds me of you.
I miss you
in the extraordinary moments too—
the ones I imagined
you would be here for.
Your birthdays.
Your celebrations.
The little milestones
I thought I would watch you reach.
Grief is strange, Sana.
You can be everywhere
and nowhere
at the same time.
I carry memories of you
in photographs,
in stories,
in songs,
in the deepest corners
of my heart.
And sometimes
I don't want to be strong.
Sometimes I want to sit alone
and cry loudly
for the daughter
I should still be holding.
I have stopped asking myself
why some days hurt more.
Maybe there doesn't always
have to be a reason.
Maybe love simply
has nowhere to go
when the person we love
is no longer here.
So I let myself miss you.
I let the tears come.
I let the ache have its space.
Because healing, I am learning,
doesn't mean leaving you behind.
It means learning
to walk through this life
with you missing from my arm
but still present
in everything that I am
You were my daughter.
You are still my daughter.
And nothing—not time,
not distance,
not death—
can change that.
I will carry you
for as long as I live.
And on the days
when the missing becomes unbearable,
I will remind myself:
This pain exists
because the love was real.
And Sana,
I would choose that love
a thousand times over.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A daughter
For Sana Some days, I say your name quietly, as if you are sleeping and I might wake you. Other days, I say it through tears, through a h...
-
Navigating the lively loneliness: Life in New York City New York City: a bustling metropolis that pulses with energy, where every street cor...
-
Balancing Happiness and Grief The loss of a child cannot be explained. It isn’t something you move on from—it’s a void that takes up permane...
-
Sixteen Months Today marks sixteen months. Sixteen months since life changed in a way I still can’t quite believe. As I sit here in Costco, ...
❤️
ReplyDelete