Search This Blog
Monday, July 6, 2026
The Look I Never Thought I Would See Again
The Look I Never Thought I Would See Again
There are certain expressions that stay with you forever.
As I care for my 92-year-old mother, who is living with dementia, I sometimes catch a glimpse in her eyes that takes me back to a place I never wanted to revisit. It is the same distant, empty look I saw in Sana during her final days.
In those last weeks, the lymphoma had progressed so rapidly that her cognition declined before our eyes. The vibrant, intelligent, compassionate young woman we knew was still there, but the illness had begun to take away her ability to connect with the world around her. It was heartbreaking to witness.
That look has never left me.
Seeing it again in my mother reminds me that illnesses affecting the brain—whether caused by cancer, dementia, or another disease—can rob a person of so much, even while they are still physically present with us. It is one of the most painful realities for those left to care for someone they love.
Yet alongside the grief, there is gratitude.
I am grateful that Sana did not have to endure prolonged suffering. Although losing her was devastating beyond words, I take comfort in knowing that her pain was not drawn out. Sometimes love means wishing for more time; other times, it means being thankful that someone you cherish was spared a longer journey of suffering.
Grief has a way of resurfacing in unexpected moments. A familiar expression. A vacant stare. A memory you thought had settled quietly in your heart.
These moments remind me that love never disappears. It simply finds new ways to make itself known.
I miss Sana every single day. And as I walk this journey with my mother, I carry both sorrow and gratitude together—grieving the daughter I lost while cherishing the memories of the extraordinary person she was.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Photographs That Hold a Life
The Photographs That Hold a Life It’s Sana’s birthday week, and this photograph feels especially precious. When it was taken, it was simpl...
-
Navigating the lively loneliness: Life in New York City New York City: a bustling metropolis that pulses with energy, where every street cor...
-
“I Am Ok” “I am ok.” It sounds like a positive affirmation, but for me, it carries a weight I cannot ignore. It was a line Sana used often i...
-
She Lives in Our Dreams Sana comes to us in our dreams every day. Not summoned by dates or anniversaries, not tied to an occasion or a memor...
No comments:
Post a Comment