Search This Blog
Saturday, September 26, 2026
What Grief Has Taught Me About Seeing Pain
What Grief Has Taught Me About Seeing Pain
Sana was my inspiration.
I said those words in therapy today, and somehow they carried more weight than they ever have before.
We talked about something I have noticed about myself since Sana died: I seem to be drawn toward people who are hurting.
Young people struggling with their mental health. Families who have experienced a loss. People who seem to be carrying something beneath the surface that others may not see.
And I find myself wanting to help.
I wondered aloud whether grief has changed the way I see people.
Before Sana, perhaps I noticed pain differently. I could empathize with it, but I had not lived inside the kind of loss that changes the landscape of your entire life.
Now, I recognize things.
I recognize the hesitation in someone's voice when they are trying to hold themselves together. I recognize the exhaustion behind a smile. I recognize the way grief can make ordinary days feel impossibly heavy. I recognize that sometimes people don't need answers. They simply need someone who is willing to sit beside them in the difficult place.
But then another thought came to me—one that was harder to admit.
I sometimes wonder whether, when I help these young people, I am also trying to validate the time I could not spend with Sana.
Could helping someone else somehow make up for the moments I wish I had been there for her?
Could loving and supporting others be a way of continuing to love her?
And perhaps there is a little guilt hidden inside that question.
The truth is, I will never be able to go back and change the time I had with Sana. No amount of helping another person can rewrite the past. No kindness I offer today can give me one more conversation, one more hug, one more ordinary day with my daughter.
But perhaps I don't need it to.
Perhaps grief has simply opened my eyes.
Sana taught me so much about compassion, generosity, vulnerability and the importance of seeing people as whole human beings. She cared deeply about mental health. She cared about people who felt different, people who struggled, people who needed someone to believe in them.
Maybe some of what I do now is not an attempt to replace what I lost.
Maybe it is a continuation of what Sana awakened in me.
Grief has made me more aware of the invisible pain people carry.
It has taught me that someone can be functioning, teaching, working, laughing—and still be hurting deeply.
It has taught me to pause.
To ask.
To listen.
To not assume that I know someone's story.
And perhaps most importantly, it has taught me that compassion does not have to come from having all the answers. Sometimes it comes simply from saying, *I see you. I know this is hard. You don't have to carry it alone.
I still don't know where the line is between helping others and trying to heal a part of myself.
Maybe there doesn't have to be a line.
Maybe our deepest wounds can sometimes become places from which we offer compassion to others.
Sana was my inspiration in life.
And in some unexpected way, she continues to be my inspiration in loss.
I cannot give her more time.
But I can carry forward the love she gave so freely.
And perhaps that is one way a life continues to touch other lives—even after it has ended.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What Grief Has Taught Me About Seeing Pain
What Grief Has Taught Me About Seeing Pain Sana was my inspiration. I said those words in therapy today, and somehow they carried more ...
-
Navigating the lively loneliness: Life in New York City New York City: a bustling metropolis that pulses with energy, where every street cor...
-
Balancing Happiness and Grief The loss of a child cannot be explained. It isn’t something you move on from—it’s a void that takes up permane...
-
“I Am Ok” “I am ok.” It sounds like a positive affirmation, but for me, it carries a weight I cannot ignore. It was a line Sana used often i...
Yasmin, I’m unable to articulate how your words today evoked an “I completely get it” … awakenings are blessings🙏❤️
ReplyDelete